How I Literally Manifested My Game Dev Job
How I Literally Manifested My Game Dev Job
From interviewing a game studio CEO at PGDX to eventually becoming an employee at the same company.“What is your dream project?”
I cheerfully asked, mic in hand, while shooting a video on my phone for content purposes.
During PGDX 2024, I interviewed all sorts of people for content - fellow content creators, gamers, game designers, and people from different parts of the local GameDev scene.
And somehow, I ended up interviewing a CEO of a game studio.
More specifically, I was interviewing Allen Tan, CEO of Monstronauts, after getting the chance to chat with Christian, one of their game designers.
Little did I know that the person on the other side of the mic would one day become my boss.
Two Years Earlier...
And somewhere in the back of my mind, a little thought started forming:
“What if I started making my own games?”
That eventually led me to teaching myself Godot, streaming my learning journey, and eventually creating Hello BB Dev to document the whole thing.
At the time, I had no idea where any of it would lead.
I was just curious.
I wanted to learn.
And I wanted to see if I could actually make something myself.
Fast Forward Two Years...
And somehow, I found myself applying for an internship at that exact same company.
My goal with the internship was pretty simple: I wanted to learn more about the industry and finally get some real experience. A career shift mayhaps?
Of course, being self-taught came with its own challenges. There was a lot I didn't know yet, and there were definitely moments when I doubted myself. But I kept pushing through.
I learned. I asked questions. I made mistakes. I kept showing up.
And eventually, that internship eventually turned into an offer to join the company full-time.
Maybe Photos Really Are Powerful
"I was already there. I just didn't know it yet."
And now...
YIPPEE!!!! :> I'm a regular employee! 🎉
The person I interviewed at PGDX two years ago is now my boss, and the little “what if I made games?” thought I had back then somehow turned into an actual career in the game industry.
I guess I wasn't expecting my “what if?” to actually go somewhere.
But here we are. 🌱



Comments
Post a Comment